Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

This past weekend I celebrated my Irish heritage and made my friends celebrate with me. The hit of the party was this fantastic bread that I found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandma-mcandrews-irish-soda-bread/Detail.aspx.

I made it pretty much exactly as the recipe said. Don't leave out the raisins, they are a must! They add to the moisture and flavor. This recipe makes one good-sized loaf.



Ingredients
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup corn oil
1 cup raisins

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
2.In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and corn oil. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Add the raisins, and stir a few times, just until the ingredients come together into a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and with floured hands shape dough into a ball. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet, and cut a large cross in the top with a sharp knife.
3.Place the bread on a middle rack of the preheated oven, and bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

This pulled together in 10 minutes and was honestly sooo good. Luickly I made two loaves as everyone had their fill and then asked to take some home. In the end I had no leftovers. :)

Sidenote: If you want to make a nice authentic Irish meal, I served this bread with a thick, hearty country stew using cabbage, parsnips, carrots, onions, leeks and bacon, of course. On the side I also served imported Irish cheddar, which was a divine addition!

The rest of the feast:

1 comment:

  1. GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER (DR. DAVID) THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP. TEXT OR ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP:@ +2347040654140
    My name is MELISSA JAMES. I was married for 13 years. My marriage has been deteriorating for some time so it was bound to unravel. I was his loyal, faithful, supportive and trusting Wife. He had an additional wild side that went out of control. The last incident is when I found out that he was having an affair 2 weeks before our 14th wedding anniversary. Out of the blue my husband just sprung the divorce talk on me. I was so hurt and being an independent woman, I thought I could cope with being single. It was so hard to move on so I had to reach out for help online. Our marriage and family therapists thought that "something" was not right about my husband. I went online and I found out about Dr. DAVID and his good spell work reviews. I ordered for a Love spell on his website. 24 hours later in the morning around 09:34am I was totally shocked at how my Husband called me telling me how much he missed me. His spell worked on me so fast and my husband has been so loving, Natural and I'm having a happy marriage after using his love spell. If you are in a loveless and unhappy marriage that cannot be salvaged, believe me...There is light at the end of this tunnel. You can reach him on his contact details. email: awesomespelltemple@gmail.com You Can Also Call Him Or Whatsapp him on +2347040654140. or view his website for more review :http://awesomespelltemplem.website2.me and  https://www.facebook.com/UrgentEffectiveLoveSpell   ...

    ReplyDelete